It’s been a hot minute (or maybe a couple of months) since our last episode of 8-Bit Bytes, but Cliff and Hans are back and have so much retro gaming goodness to talk about!
- Arcade1Up: Newer games better quality. Nice LCD’s, better joysticks, no paint issues, lit marquees, etc. New Games include TMNT, Marvel Super Heroes, Star Wars 83. More form factors. Sit down cocktail style cabinets (Pacman, Streetfighter) were revealed at NYCC
- SNES games on now available on the Switch!
- The Genesis Mini is out, Hans has one and it’s great
- The TurboGraffix 16 Mini is out on March 19th for $100
- Neo Geo Arcade Stick Pro doesn’t have a lot of details, but looks great
- Goldeneye N64 is being remade in Unreal 4 (at least until the project get shut down anyway)
- Full size C64 release coming soon after the success of the mini!
Billy Mitchell may be filing suit after the removal of his DK and Pacman high scores. Billy just last month sent 156 pages of documentation that outlines his dispute with screenshots, testimony, and technical evidence. Did send a four page letter on legal firm letterhead to Twin Galaxies. A musical in Indianapolis was even made about all of this called ARCADEFIRE (The redemption of Billy Mitchell).
The Ataris VCS is in trouble, but pre-orders are open again! Check out this subreddit or this article for an incredibly detailed account of what’s going on.
A general timeline:
- Sept. 30th: Atari® and Antstream Arcade Partnership Kick-Starts Atari VCS™ Content Offerings with Thousands of (streamable) Classic Games
- Oct 4th: Rob Wyatt (Founding team member of XBOX) chief architect of Atari VCS quit and claimed he and his design firm haven’t been paid in 6 months! They just last month got a prototype board and after trying to debug it.
- Oct 4th: Atari says “The Atari VCS is proceeding according to its previously announced schedule.” Atari also says updates on the project can be found on Medium and that production has started.
JoeColeslaw: Any game collection you want to see soon in the like of Disney’s Aladdin and The Lion King?
Every week the Byte Me Podcast dips into the games you should be playing! Featuring news and reviews for PC, console and mobile games, along with fun discussions about games from the classics to new releases. Perfect for casual gamers or for casual gamers that want to be a little more hardcore, join Byte Me and find your next favorite game!Listen on Apple Podcasts Listen on Google Podcasts Listen on Spotify RSS Feed Download Episode